Time for celebration!
Transform your home into a festive heaven with WallDesign decals.
Get positive vibes and divine forces with Goddess Durga.
Here is the Genesis of Goddess Durga: this is how her story and the Navratri begin.
The buffalo demon Mahishasur was granted his wish by Lord Brahma to never be defeated by any man or God.
Unable to defeat him, the Gods confirm with the trinity of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma for help.
With their accumulated power or “Adi Shakti”, Durga was born.
Hopeful for victory, the Gods presented her with weapons for the battle:
- The Sudarshan Chakra was given to her by Vishnu to symbolize Dharma or righteousness
- The Axe by Lord Vishwakarma
- The Bell by Airavatha to dispel all evil with the sound of OM
- The Club signifies power second to none
- The Sword to depict knowledge
- The Thunderbolt by Lord Indra to symbolize her firm spirit
- The Spear to destroy evil
- The Bow and Arrow by Vayu to remove all hindrances
- The Trident given by Lord Shiva embodies the 3 qualities Satwas, Rajas & Tamas
After 10 days and 9 nights of battle, Durga emerges victorious. This is why we celebrate Navratri all over India.
In Sanskrit, the word Navratri means nine (‘nava’) nights (‘ratri’). During this period, nine divine forms of Goddess Durga are worshiped.
This year, the festival time is from October 1st to October 10th 2016.